Style Guide for Manuscript Submissions
In addition to basic information (article title, authors names and institutions, etc.), please provide the following information:
1. Each author’s department or other division within the institution or organization
2. ORCID IDs of authors (if applicable)
3. Key words
4. Any of the following author declarations that are appropriate for your article:
4a. The authors declare that there are no personal or financial conflicts of interest regarding the research in this article.
4b. The authors declare that they conducted the research reported in this article in accordance with the Ethical Principles of the Journal of Expertise.
4c. The authors declare that they are not able to make the dataset publicly available but are able to provide it upon request.
Tables and Figures
1. Please create tables with MS Word’s “insert table” feature. Tables may also be submitted as Excel files. Please do not create tables by tabbing to create columns.
2. Tables and figures should fit on an 8.5 x 11 page, portrait orientation.
3. Please submit figures as jpeg or tiff files of at least 300 dpi.
1. Use italics for letters used as statistical symbols or algebraic variables (e.g., M, SD, p, r, t, F).
Citations and References
1. Please use the latest version of the APA Publication Manual (APA 7) for in-text citations and reference entries of works by more than one author. The main difference is that for works by three or more authors, the first citation includes just the name of the first author, followed by et al.
2. Please make sure all citations are included in the reference list and all works in the reference list are cited in the text.
Upload Your Files
File names should adhere to the following format:
"Author's Last Name - Manuscript Title.doc"
"Author's Last Name - Manuscript Title.pdf"
"Author's Last Name - Supplementary Materials.doc"
"Author's Last Name - Figure 1.eps"
"Author's Last Name - Table 1.xlsx"
At least two files are required: a cover letter and the main document. The cover letter should include a very brief (2-3 sentence) description of the work, and up to 3 suggested reviewers (with no conflicts of interest) and 3 non-preferred reviewers. The main document should include: (1) an abstract, (2) the main text with figures and tables embedded in the text (not at the end), (3) a reference list, (4) appendices (if any), and (5) supplemental online materials (if any). The main document should be submitted with any word processor format (e.g., Microsoft Word, LibreOffice Writer) plus a copy in pdf. Submissions to JoE should follow APA style, but minor deviations from APA style that do not affect the overall style/readability of the manuscript are acceptable.
Authors are encouraged to submit raw data, with explanations of variables if the data file is not self-explanatory, and codes used for the analysis.
Submit Your Manuscript
Attach your files (the cover letter, manuscript, etc.) to your email.
In the subject line, please type "Manuscript Submission - Corresponding Author's Name"
Upon receipt of your manuscript we will contact you within 1-5 business days.